Information for Parents
Dates for the 2020 Wonders on the Wabash field trip have been announced!
September 16, 17 September 23, 24 September 30
2019 marks the 5th Annual Wonders on the Wabash field trip! Your child will be rafting down the mighty Wabash River as part of an educational experience to better understand our natural resources and the river ecosystem. Due to the nature of this trip, the following information includes important suggestions and reminders for parents to ensure their child is ready for their big day on the water.
We will be launching our rafts from Tapawingo Park located at 100 Tapawingo Drive, West Lafayette, IN 47906. The trip ends at Fort Ouiatenon located at 3136 S River Road, West Lafayette, IN 47906. We will be spending all day outside, both on and off the river. Each raft will have approximately 8 to 10 students, along with 2 or 3 adults. There will also be a Conservation Officer present in a motorized boat, should anyone need to get off the river quickly.
How to Prepare
Items the TCPWQ will be providing for your child on their day include: a life jacket, bug spray (with and without DEET), sunscreen, a mid-morning snack (Goldfish crackers and bottled water), and lunch. If your child requires a certain kind of bug spray and/or sunscreen, please make sure to send it along on their day of rafting. Sunscreen and bug spray must be applied BEFORE getting into the raft. This is to prevent damage to the rafts.
The lunch menu will be announced before you child’s day on the water. If you child has certain dietary restrictions, they will need to bring their lunch for their day. We ask they do not bring a drink as we provide bottled water.
Suggestions to ensure your child is prepared for their day:
1. Eat a good breakfast. A morning snack will be provided, but we eat a late lunch.
2. Wear OLD, CLOSED-TOE shoes. No one will be allowed on the raft with open toe shoes. This includes Crocs, flip flops, and other open-toe sandals. This is an insurance requirement we must adhere to.
3. Bring extra clothing, dry shoes, and a towel. We will be on the water, and your child MAY GET WET.
4. Leave phones and all electronic devices at home. We will not be responsible for lost or damaged personal devices.
5. Any items left by your school will be available for pick-up at the Surveyor’s Office, located in the Tippecanoe County Office Building at 20 N Third Street, Lafayette, IN 47901.
If you have any questions about your child’s day, please feel free to contact Monica Christopher by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (765) 423-9228.
We look forward to working with your child on this floating classroom experience!