- Superior Court 4
- Replacement Title for Motor Vehicle
Replacement Title for Motor Vehicle
I LOST THE TITLE TO MY MOTOR VEHICLE? THE SELLER WILL NOT GIVE ME THE TITLE TO MY MOTOR VEHICLE. HOW DO I GET A REPLACEMENT TITLE?
If you cannot find the Certificate of Title for any motor vehicle (RV, truck, car, ATV, motorcycle, including a trailer) or the seller has not been able to or refuses to give you the title, you may apply for a replacement Certificate of Title in Small Claims Court. If you are now the legal owner for the motor vehicle, here is what you do:
(1) Complete Replacement Title for Motor Vehicle form (see civil forms)
“Verified” means that by signing and submitting this Petition, you swear or affirm under oath and under penalties for perjury that all the answers and information are true and accurate. If you make a false statement about your ownership of the motor vehicle, you may be charged with a crime.
(2) Make three (3) copies of the completed Petition.
(3) File the Petitions in the Clerk’s Office and pay the filing fees.
(4) Bring the file stamped Petitions and the receipt showing payment of the filing fees to the Superior Court 4 office to schedule a hearing date. The hearing date will be scheduled in about four (4) weeks to allow time for the required publication schedule.
(5) Advertise (publish) the filing of the Petition in a local newspaper of general distribution. Take a file stamped copy of the Petition to the newspaper
• Pay the publication fee to the newspaper
• The advertisement must be published three (3) times
• The first time must be promptly after you file the Petition
• The second and third times must be at least seven (7) days but not more than fourteen (14) days after the first time
(6) When you come to your court hearing, bring with you proof of advertising (publication) and proof of
how you came into possession or or became the legal owner of the motor vehicle.
In Tippecanoe County, the local newspapers of general distribution are:
Journal and Courier: 823 Park East Boulevard, Lafayette, IN 47905 Phone: 855*288-4370 Email: email@example.com
Lafayette Leader: 401 Main Street, Suite 2F, Lafayette, IN 47901 Phone: 765-428-8123